Qualified Finance Manager - International not for profit / Charity
International not for profit / Charity who work across Asia and Africa with communities, governments, academic institutions, and local and international organisations are recruiting a Qualified Finance Manager. This is a global role, reporting directly to and working closely with the Chief Finance Officer, responsible for Africa’s overall financial integrity through the review of donor reports, overview of the accounting records, the co-ordination and review of budgets and forecasts, and providing additional surge support on budgets for new opportunities and bids. This role requires international travel circa 30%.
The Finance Support Manager will be a key role in supporting the Africa countries to prepare budgets, donor reports and maintain clean accounting records providing financial support and information to budgets holders.
To provide an efficient, relevant and timely support finance service to all countries within Africa, with a strong focus on providing budgeting and analytical reporting support to in-country management, both finance and project staff. Reporting to the Chief Finance Officer, the role holder provides accounting support to all Country Finance Managers.
- Management Accounting (40%)
- Support and review all rolling forecasts submitted by the Africa country offices.
- Ensure monthly management accounts are produced and reviewed and that variances are acted on.
- Analyse the monthly management accounts and ask countries to account for the performance in those countries against the forecast, collating and providing the monthly feedback to the Chief Finance Officer.
- Continuously improve and develop appropriate budget and reporting software that the organisation can use to automate many of the above processes and improve financial management information for monitoring and analysis.
- Financial Accounting and Regulatory Matters (30%)
- Providing advice, training and support to the finance team in country offices.
- Review all donor reports for low and medium projects, to ensure accurate and submitted on time.
- Review the month-end checklists from the country offices and bring to the attention of the Chief Finance Officer any items of concern.
- Ensure all Country Finance Managers, follow-up on matters raised in the month-end checklists and they are cleared within one month of the issue first arising.
- Provide support on project audits and ensure follow-up on issues arising and that any recommendations are implemented that relate to finance policies and process.
- Technical Line Management of Indirect Reports (20%)
- Provide technical line management to all Africa Country Finance Managers enabling the role holder to learn and develop, and enabling them to be a strong support to the country teams.
- Provide day to day support on understanding the requirements of reporting both internal and external reporting.
- Regularly review the workload split, progress, and upcoming challenges for the Country accounting function, to guarantee the most efficient service provision to in country stakeholders, understanding and reacting to the organisations’ priorities.
- Business Development budget support (10%)
- Support the HQ-based Business Development team and/or in country teams by compiling and reviewing budgets for new projects where required.
Qualifications and experience:
- Qualified or Part Qualified ACA, ACCA or CIMA Accountant
- Previous extensive experience of working in a financial management role
- Experience of working abroad or in a multi-country reporting environment
Knowledge of NGO donors and their financial reporting requirements
- Strong technical accounting skills
- Solid experience in co-ordinating and consolidating budgets and forecasts across countries
- Excellent computer skills with high advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Strong analytical and reporting skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience of developing and implementing new financial reports, systems and information
- Experience in training, developing and managing staff
- Strong ability to be able to manage and prioritise multiple tasks
- Understanding of basic SQL database structures and data relationships
- Experience of working with PS Financials
- Working knowledge of French or Portuguese
Salary £39,000 to £42,000